Coordinator:Detective Jason Hunter
Field Supervisor: Detective Jeffrey Doman
Toll Free Hotline - 866-609-9989
Email Drug Task Force
One of the challenges our municipal police departments face is the fact that the officers have authority to act only within the boundaries of their municipality. Drug dealers don’t recognize borough or township borders. To help address this concern, in 1991, municipalities from across the county joined together to form the Somerset County Drug Task Force. The task force members become Somerset County detectives and have police authority anywhere in the county.
The Task Force is made up of two teams, one covering the northern area of the county and the other the southern area. The Task Force is made up of officers from nine municipal police departments. Police chiefs from those departments serve on an advisory board.
The Drug Task Force provides training in areas of the law of search and seizure, drug identification and investigations. It establishes and maintains an intelligence databank of suspected illegal drug users and dealers. It maintains and uses approved surveillance equipment in support of investigations. It conducts undercover drug investigations and coordinates drug investigations in Somerset County with state and federal drug enforcement agencies.
Core activities include:
- To select and train county and municipal personnel for drug investigations.
- To maintain and become proficient in the use of electronic surveillance equipment and techniques.
- To establish an intelligence system which records all suspected and confirmed drug users and dealers who come in contact with law enforcement authorities;
- To conduct undercover drug operations involving the use of both police and civilian informants;
- To conduct surveillance operations of locations and individuals suspected of illegal drug activity;
- To document in report form all investigative activity conducted by the task force;
- To inventory, store and maintain all property and contraband seized during drug investigations;
- To pursue forfeiture of assets where appropriate;
- To establish and maintain contacts with state and federal drug enforcement agencies.